Re: Tuning guitar in fifths for wider orchestration options

Marc,

I think the guys that experiment with different tunings don't really
"think" the music as "an instrument". We rather think the the music as
the notes; I mean, according to a key, a scale (not "guitar neck"
scale but the real sounding scale, the vibreations) and a tonal
center. If you think music like that, all you have to do is to find
out "where on this new instrument are the octave, the fifth" etc etc.
Soon you're off playing your usual stuff with the new instrument's
special touch options.

To learn an instrument as "I put my finger down here to get this note"
is a mistake IMHO and I'm amazed that music schools still do that to
kids. You should learn instrument by first learning a melody of let's
say three notes. Then you find out how to play that melody on the
instrument.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se