Re: Live Looping: it pops up everywhere

Well there ya go then!!!

I must say that I AM extreeeeemely critical of music... but I listen to a lot of noise... it IS sometimes half the job of listening to decide, is this something? music? art? or just noise?
Is this still the Erdem trashing the recording of Molina thread..? interesting.. because really we've come full circle now... and have to ask.. if one were to play Erdems music to Molina, what would she say... I suspect, that she would not give 2 hoots to the quality of recording, but merely sneer.. this is just noise...

what a tricky line we walk... you know I HATED John Weise´s noise set last week when I supported him in Oslo... and so did the crowd if you guage their reaction to him in comparison to the applause I got (which was a big ego boost). He was FAR too loud (the bouncers were outside complaining that they had to wear earplugs outside too!!!) EVERYONE was wearing earplugs.. and I was thinking what IS the f***ing point of this???
But afterwards I was thinking.. christ.. this guy has come alone form the US is travelling around europe on a shoe-string (well not too much of a shoestring, I heard what Blå paid him, when I played for nothing... ) anyway... It got me thinking, what dedication... to this brutal sound... there is something admirable to immersing onesself in this one simple project and being feircly singleminded.
I am too much of an old fart pro musiker... there are issues in me that cares (like Erdem) about hiss and hum, and EQ and audience reaction, and... oh fuck it... showbiz!  I care too much what people think...

Maybe one shouldnt and just do what Nike suggests...

Mark

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 2:57 PM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com> wrote:

> ha ha!! i had the opposite...
>
> I was at a gig once and a single drummer was "randomly banging stuff" I said
> to my friend ..."to me
> this just sounds like randomly banging on stuff".  and he glared at me and
> said... "Its a piece by Xenakis and it took him 3 months to learn, 8 hours a
> day, he is a master percussionist!!!!"

Well ha ha back to you then, Mark - here's an interesting follow-up on
that:  The biggest influence and "musical experience kick" that turned
Xenakis on for making the switch and become a composer was when he
once lay on the ground at war, badly injured by a shot, with nothing
else to do but listening to the totally random cacaphonics of bombs,
guns and grenades going off.  Bottom line is that you did comprehend
X's music perfectly well ;-)

Per

--
www.markfrancombe.com