Re: test Now Alesis Philtre

I have a Philtre, but not any other of the Alesis devices, so I can't compare with those.  But there is certainly nothing 'weak' about the Philtre, it's a really full bodied analogue sounding effect, with a great range of frequency and depth that is certainly comparable to the filter banks in my (no longer owned) Korg MS20, iirc.  Although it doesn't quite go into self-oscillation, the intensity is such that I won't need to have the 'regen' (resonance) control above halfway when using the LPF with the 'steep' button on.  Like all these effects, the enjoyment of the sound has a lot to do with personal taste, but I wonder whether you might have a faulty unit, because it shouldn't be weak.  Make sure you have adjusted the trim control at the back to drive the unit hard enough.

Stephen

--- On Sun, 15/2/09, Jeff Duke <jeff_d@embarqmail.com> wrote:
From: Jeff Duke <jeff_d@embarqmail.com>
Subject: Re: test Now Alesis Philtre
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Date: Sunday, 15 February, 2009, 1:46 AM

Somehow I got unsubscribed. I was gone all day and when I got home there were no
messages from the list. Unusual! when I tried to post it said I was not a
member. Anyway I'm back...

My question is for any Alesis Philtre users. I recently got 6 different Modfx
boxes including the Bitrman and Ampliton. These are very powerful and dramatic.
The Philtre however seems weak. i have read reviews and hooked it up several
ways but although it works it's just not as strong as the others. Anyone
have any tips on getting the most out of the Philtre? I was thinking it would be
on a par with an EH microsynth or other filter type device.

Thanks,

Jeff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Duke"
<jeff_d@embarqmail.com>