RE: choosing a laptop

> > Does the express card also use a non-TI chipset?
>
> from what ive read,no it doesnt-

Then this does suggest a chipset problem.

> even if the express Firewire card has TI chipset..........
> the chipset for the express slot READER is not TI....
> so it makes no difference....

I don't think that's true.  I've heard about FW chipset
incompatibility problems but never about PCI-express SLOT
problems.  They are totally different.  You can have IRQ
conflicts with PCI-express but this is unrelated to the
circuitry.

There seems to be mountains of evidence that Dells with the Ricoh
chipset suck, but lots of people use PCI-express interfaces with Dells
successfully.

Jeff