Re: loopers hard talk questions and answers

 > Luis; have people actually asked you some of these
> questions?  In what manner were these questions asked?  Of
> what kind of confusion did they suffer?  How did you reply?

oh yeah Bill! actually ive been meaning to post this for a while and after
seeing the "nerds with toys" thread i couldnt help to post this,the other
reason that i am interested in how some of you would answer(instead of
just ignoring it)is that i am doing a show on the 27th and was planing on
doing an explanation of what looping is all about and welcoming questions
(which id like to be ready for,just in case he,he)
You know,i live in a very beautiful touristy place here and i love it,but
the drawback is the conservatism and close mindness of the scene around
here sometimes,specially from some of the pub owners and local musicians
who i think feel threatened by this art form or somebody doing something
different.There are also very few cultural places where you can expose
this type of music as well.I musr admit that ive done experimental loop
gigs in the wrong places and ive learned my lesson.But since i also like
to sing covers and write songs i figured hell i can do looping in those
same places and get paid for it, and nobody seems to care how i do it;-)

Yes,i posted earlier the questions ive been actuall asked and my answers
here is my previous mail:

1.great but why loop when you can have a duo a trio or a
> band? is it due to economics?(asked by a non looping musican)

my answer: yes,it is do partly due to economics but also because i still
havent found the right musicians to have a duo or a trio for this
project.Plus with looping you can do things that are still impossible with
a duo or a trio.

2.but do you really need all that equipment to play
> solo?(also a question from a blues guitarrist who was giving me a hard
>time from seeing my pedalboard;-)
my answer: no,ive done fine without it, i use it to expand my sound as a
soloist which can at times be more entertaining than just playing guitar
and singing.

> > 6. nice but dont you think a Band is still better?
(This question came from a woman after a show i did, who is the wife of
the bar owner where i played,obviously shes never seen looping and she is
used to seeing local duos and trios at her pub)
my answer: Ive seen terrible bands and ive seen solo acts that were way
better

> > 4.why would i pay to see somebody just making noise?
> my kid could do that
> > 5.looping seems to me made for self indulged people
> that arent able to deal with other humans and are
> incompetent to play the instrument properly without all that
> equipment
(this two remarks believe it or not actually came from an acoustic singer
songwriter musician(not from here) i tried to get into looping but he just
doesnt like it, and the only looper he seems to like is Andrew bird, but i
also know this guy would never dare to go onstage alone without other
musicians!ironically he loves my electric guitar playing and invites me to
play everytime he has a gig.Usually when i play with him i just plug my
telecaster straight into a tube amp and thats it,it fits his nice
countrish songs,but the last time i came to play with him i brought the
DL4 on purpose and started looping in some of his songs,but boy he was
giving me dirty looks:-)

> > 7.so whats the difference between sampling and looping
> and sequencing?
(this one came from a beginner guitarrist years ago whos never looped
either,he asked me what sequencer i was using and then he said he was
thinking about buying a phrase sampler too;-)

cheers

Luis