Re: loopers hard talk questions and answers

> How do you answer your own questions? And why do you call
> those questions hard talk? They seem quite mild as they
> address only aesthetical questions. Let's talk content
> rather than form.

LOL! there is a BBC program called hard talk,they host politicians and ask
them very direct questions i just find that title funny;-)

so the answer to the questions ive actually been asked:

1. Why loop when you can have a duo a trio or a
> band? is it due to economics?
yes, it is do partly due to economics but also because i still havent
found the right musicians to have a duo or a trio for this project.Plus
with looping you can do things that are still impossible with a duo or a
trio.

2.do you really need all that equipment to play
> solo?ive seen solo players who can entertain us without all
> of that
no,ive done it fine without it, i use it to expand my sound as a soloist
which can at times be more entertaining than jus playing guitar and
singing.

> > 6. nice but dont you think a Band is still better?
Ive seen terrible bands and ive seen solo acts that were way better
(This question came from a woman after a show i did, who is the wife of
the bar owner where i played,obviously shes never seen looping and she is
used to seeing duos and trios at her pub)

> > 4.why would i pay to see somebody just making noise?
> my kid could do that
> > 5.looping seems to me made for self indulged people
> that arent able to deal with other humans and are
> incompetent to play the instrument properly without all that
> equipment
this two remarks actually came from a musician i tried to get into
looping,but i do know he would never dare to loop or be on stage alone
without other musicians for that matter!

> > 7.so whats the difference between sampling and looping
> and sequencing?
this one came from a beginner guitarrist whos never looped either,he asked
me what sequencer i was using and then he said he was thinking about
buying a phrase sampler too;-)

> > 10.why do most loopers play alone?
again it enables you to play in ways that are not possible with other
musicians.Also sometimes is hard for other musicians to follow loopers or
improvise with them when they have never done it.

> "interrogations" like this seem common among those
> who are vulnerable.

absolutely right Jayrope!
in fact i should say this answers should be prepared more for non looping
musicians who might feel vulnerable or threatened because perhaps they
canīt do it.From my experience in general audiences dont really care much
what you are using.They do look at your pedalboards and raise eyebrows
sometimes but i seldom get questions about the equipment.However i do
enjoy it when they say,"i like how you bild up".
Yes,at the end is a matter of taste and it has less to do with
looping...noise,ambient etc. has been all done before without it, but i
think looping has been more prevalent within those genres.As many of you
have stated,it is only an extension to what you do.Now we have all kinds
of styles integrating it so i guess if you were an entertainer once
looping is not neccesarily going to turn you into a shoegazer;-)
I was thinking of taking the time to explain what this is all about on my
upcoming show and answer questions people might have about looping,and
this is why i am interested in your answers,but printing out some
information and passing it along seems much easier;-)

cheers
Luis