Re: MySpace headaches... - experience?

Jeff Duke wrote:
> Bill, you mentioned that you run windows 98 on a what, P3. What kind
> of internet connection do you have? Nowdays most sites are made for
> highspeed and modern machines right?
Yeah, P2!!!  450MHz.  My PC is 10 years old and I've been saving my
pennies for an iMac which I may be able to buy in another a month or
two.  (It'll have to last me 10 years, too!)  I'm on DSL.  As the world
started migrating to high speed, dial up started choking on more and
more websites.  When DSL finally came down to an affordable price, I
jumped on it.  But "feature creep" continues on and everyone loads more
and more crap on their pages.  The slicker people try to be, the worse
it is.  It makes for a very bad experience for too many people.  My new
ASUS EEEPC running WinXP was supposed to be better but it is so under
powered that it is painful to use on the internet.  Practically no one
considers all the people behind the bleeding edge of technology.  And
with today's economy, who can keep up?  KISS *must* be a consideration
in website design or viewers behind the curve will be scared away from
all the bells and wistles clogging up the available bandwidth that not
eveyone can afford.
> Do you think my myspace page is overloaded? I have seen worse. I do
> have the colorchanging background and some youtube and a vimeo widjet
> on there. Also my music player starts automaticly.
> it loads fast for me but I am sure that I have it cached from visiting
> it a couple of times a day. I am interested in how things load for
> other people.
Sorry, Jeff.  I haven't been to your page to know.  But for me, all it
takes is just one poorly designed widget to lock up my PC.  Widgets are
slick pieces of shit that consume my PC's resources and slow down what
once was a cutting edge machine.  More memory. more power, more cores,
more, more, more!  I have no problem with technology marching on.  I am,
after all, an electronics engineer.  (Out of work, of course!)  But not
everyone can afford a new computer every year just to keep up...
especially if they want to buy synths, guitars, basses, software,
loopers, food, clothes, electricity, gas, insurance, pay the mortgage,
the tax man (federal, state, local, property), the cable guy...  The
average person is *SO* behind the technological curve and nobody
considers this when trying to look slick.  I *hate* slick.  Slick is for
TV and movies.  Slick is too commercial for my tastes.  Give me a nice,
pleasant experience that doesn't eat resources.  KISS.

Cheers,

Bill