RE: New ambient live improvisation "The art of life"

>>http://euroloopfest.com/sjaak/mp3.html
>
> From: Per Boysen [mailto:perboysen@gmail.com]
> Sounds great, Sjaak! It's interesting to hear someone playing
> with the same sonic source elements that I too use and you
> really make it sound a lot more "keyboard-ish" compared to me
> ;-))  When I play those virtual instruments with my EWI they
> come out more like "brass- or flute-ish". Funny how the
> physical control instrument influence electronics that much .

Thanks Per! Since I started with live looping 2-3 years ago I have
mainly used natural sounding sounds like strings, piano, flutes, contra
bass, guitar, ethnic sounds etc. I'm not so much into noise and stuff, I
prefer more the organic sounds, creating atmospheres with tension, kind
of cinematic feeling. The way I play technically depends on the genre:
could be groovy when playing rhythmic world music or "keyboard-ish" when
doing Ambient. I really like my 88-keys stage piano, because the
balanced action of the keyboard allows you to play very dynamicly. Btw:
this song has been played on keytar. That might become my main
controller for the upcoming festivals; it's very compact midi
controller, and it gives you good visibility on your pedals. Can't play
piano on it though...looks pretty kinky too....hmmm...don't know yet :)

My personal "EWI" is a breath controller I use in combination with a
Yamaha VL-70 synth. This is monophonic physical modeling synth that can
produce great flutes and brassy sounds. What midi parameters are you
actually controlling with the EWI? I can only control 1 midi parameter,
usually velocity, with my breath controller. If you use long attack and
release times on the ADSR envelope of the "VCA" part, you could perhaps
use more "keyboard-ish" (chords) sounds. Ever tried that?

---
Sjaak
http://www.livelooping.be/
http://www.overgaauw.be/