RE: another M13 looper demo/ odd meters using track speed toggling

At 8:11 AM -0800 1/23/09, William Walker wrote:
>Good idea, however my bro is usually up really late so I'd have to swipe
>it
>in the morning :)

Ah, then you can leave him a box of Cocoa Puffs in its place.  It
won't make up for stealing it, but the look on his face should be
priceless.

>Actually, using the replace function can mimic a slicer if
>you just use the function rhythmically to create silences in the loop,

Ooooh, of course, I love that function on the LP-1.  Hey!  Record
some of that and post more YouTube videos!  <*huge evil grin*>

That said, your comments -- along with the fact that the recent
thread on Reich has me re-listening to '18 Musicians' and 'Music for
a Large Ensemble' for the first time in nearly two decades -- has
actually sparked a few random thoughts (although it could just be the
wine; It's after two in the morning here on a friday night, and today
i finally found someplace local to get a sonoma merlot. now if i
could just find a frickin' oregan pinot noir, i'd be ecstatic).

But it's interesting that the mention of that effect brought up the
connection with using replace to subtract chunks from the audio
stream.  It's actually not at all strange, considering the name of
the darn thing is the Slicer.  But I never actually thought about the
association.

When I think of that effect, though, my brain actually wraps around
it the opposite way.  I can't help but look at it from the viewpoint
of imposing a positive information flow (a pulse, if you will) onto
silence, rather than imposing silence into a flow.  In fact, if I
were Boss I'd rename that little green pedal as the Pulsar (if that
name weren't already taken by another effect unit).  I think that's
why I've been more obsessed with tricks like the Tuner/Mute technique.

Personally, I myself even find it strange that, even though the vast
majority of the tiny output I've published is drone or noise stuff,
I'm always trying to impose some sort of pulse onto the information
stream, even if merely subconsciously.  Even my latest experiments --
using the 'slicer' function of the Roland EF-303 to impose a rhythm
onto a Frippertronics-style ambient loop -- reflect this same quest
to impose pattern on chaos.

I wonder if this sort of black/white-white/black predisposition is
part of our individual brain's natures -- like that famous optical
illusion of the vase or the two faces -- or if it's something that
we've programmed into ourselves by our preferences and taste.  Or
mebbe I'm just a sadistic control freak.  :P

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but I just felt like musing over one
last thought before turning in for the evening....

        --m.

--
_____
"Image is blasphemy. Text is heresy. The spoken word is a lie."