OT: Pay royalties for own music on own website?

Hi folks

I just had a discussion with a friend of mine. He is registered with the
German GEMA (like ASCAP/BMI in Germany) and said that he is not allowed to
present his own music on his own web site without paying royalties!!

I found this idea quite bizarre and checked a few web pages. Quite
confusing: some say, you are allowed to stream but no download - then
again, this rule just goes to 31.Dec07. Others suggest that in a band, one
person should be outside of Gema etc.

So, I'm confused. Do you have the same regulation in US? Do you really
have to pay royalties for your own music on your own web page (pathetic!)?
In Germany/Europe? What about music not registered with GEMA/ASCAP? What
about lyrics/song transcriptions?

Looking forward to your hints :)

Buzap

http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger