Re: Steppophonic Looperformer - please steal this!

RE; generative...

>What I usually do not like with some generative music software is that they utilize random.

Couldnt agree more... I once programmed in SynthEdit a generatve vst called IChing... although LOTS of fun in building it.. it was used by me in exactly ONE track... Somehow.. the idea, that non musicians like Eno, find so facinating, that "the rules of music can be programmed" thus opening up the world to infinate amounts of ambient muzak, just leaves me cold and feeling slightly sick.

To wipe out the use of randomness in  one bold statement however Per, is a tad premature, if you dont mind me saying so. Random parameters can be very subtle, and can add elements of reality and life to an otherwise cold sequence.

Looking at your design concept, it seems that you envisage a new musical instrument, something with feel... however with sequenced 8,12,16.. you will end up with a metronomic thing... I should know, its what I LIKE... (if you are into modulars, you have a soft spot for the old Tangerine Dream sequence thing) but your tool could be really cool, if instead of physically placing ALL the beats onto the grid (or grids, if you are switching between) why not use some element of randomness, like a probability value to place 10% swing factor on beats? OR.. I was thinking of something that placed beats dynamically based on the PREVIOUS bar... the program would have to detect you playing, and quantise to nearest 16th, but if you played legato and slowely, the program could detect that you wanted to go that way and start to remove beats from the grid... however if you start a frenetic passage, it could add beats, so it would change its playing style dependant on your playing style..