Re: Steppophonic Looperformer - please steal this!

Shiiit.. why didnt I SPOL CHOCK FERST???

I did it below, for my own sense of decency...

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 11:34 AM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com> wrote:
Heh heh... Per..  I see that you have done a lot of work to put down on paper exactly your thoughts and ideas on this... but donīt you think that many of us have had similar ideas over the years.. me for one!!! In fact the hardware set-up I have now, is as close as damn it to what you describe, except with hardware analog sequencers, doing stuff to pitch-shifters and repeaters time stretch..(as previously discussed Im not interested in rate/speed shifting  ).

I DO see some very interesting developments in your idea however... the concept of a new note knocking out an old one..(have to re-read that bit, maybe I misunderstood) was fascinating, and seemingly impossible to build methinks...(WAIT.. I HAVE ow re-read this, and I WAS misunderstood.. infact Per was pre-empting the probelm I forsaw below) and the fact that 2 note are generated if plotted on the graph... very interesting... I do this now by having 2 loopers monophonically pitching the same sample, but being pitched differently... (not well you understand, completely glitchy and impossible to control)

I did some (incredibly lo fi and glitchy ) versions of things like this, when I was making vstīs with SynthEdit. I remember I had one (unreleased) plugin called "Bart og Sheg" that grabbed audio snippets of a length that you specified and was immediately sequenced by an 8 (or was it 16) note sequencer. The problem I had, and why I lost interest, was  a similar problem to the way I now do it in hardware on my modular synth (using a FANTASTIC module called the Tyme Serfari - more of this later) was that what I wanted was that if  one sampled an 8th note er.. "grab" but the sequencer was running at 16th note speed, then the sample note would change half way thru its playback, what I wanted / envisioned was more of a midi sampler way of doing it, where, if the note is played, it is played to the end, in its entirety.

The Tyme Sefari from Harvestman (http://www.theharvestman.org/1973.php) is just an audio buffer, but it can be coltage controlled from other modules. this makes it very powerful when you consider that not only pitch is CV'able, but in and out points, and that AFTER recording into the buffer, the out point can be moved BEFORE the in point... eithe by a knob, or by a sequencer. What do they say... "this issue is to complex to cover within the scope of this "article"...

Per also mentions some similar products.. I also used to use something a little similar.. but have forgotten its name, since I'm not using a computer for music anymore.. I think it was Splonki, which was merely pitching and colorizing a buffer sample.

BUT TO ANOTHER POINT... Per raises in my mind... one that maybe those WITH the programming powers can answer, or those involved in product design. How DOES one protect ones idea (of course I realize Per as NOT done this, as he has made it available under Creative Commons, but its still protection of a sort)
What CAN you patent? What if you have no plans of capabilities to produce yourself.. but still believe one has an original idea?

I once had a cocaine fueled idea about covering tanks with paint that could show TV pictures when it dried, then cameras could show pictures from the opposite surface of the tank and therefore make it invisible (stoner idea huh???)... well no .. actually... I just saw a program where they are doing just that!!! different application, same technology... and what about the students who trademarked 21st Century Fox back in the 70's... paid millions in the nineties.. (so they say, could be a myth)

Should we all go around putting ideas in Bank Vaults (literally - thats what we used to do with songs, stick a tape in a Bank Vault Box!!)

How patent-able IS an idea like Pers... none of us have had EXACTLY this idea... its the combination of features that make it unique, but if I program it, market it and sell it, with no reference to Per... am I in breach of anything, (if he had patented it - if patenting even exists for an idea like this) or am I just being a nasty person...

This happens all the time...

Dare I say.. Frippertronics anyone? Frippertronics my arse... surely Eno-tronics.. no wait... Riley o tronics.. but wait Stock o tronics... or Shaeffatronics... (where are we 1940īs yet??)

Mark

PS: I just re-read this, and realize that there was a inference that Per was being wuussy for "giving away for free" an idea that I have had myself.. IM NOT SAYING THAT.. I was genuinely impressed, by his ability to lay out clearly his concept, and in a way, publish the fact that this combination of ideas is HIS! My questions are more about, does this work... Cos if so... I got ALOT of scrapbooks and text-files and "virtual napkins" that I should write up an blog!

PS: Thanks for the wordpress help Per, a rough version of my site, with holes is now at www.markfrancombe.com, once you get past the intro/redirect page.. which is a temp solution to server mess...