Re: vst plugin - looper

Ableton Live actually works quite great as Slave if you treat it as a looper itself.
There's an inherent problem with MIDI clock that there is no offsetting/phase to keep things aligned. There is no information about the location within a beat, only how fast a beat is.
Because of this things can get drifty regardless of the hosting environment, if you just let those MIDI clicks run...
There is supposed to be 24 clicks per quarter note but this is theory and clicks get lost, offset gets lost, especially if you feel like changing the speed gradually and expect the synchronization to keep up.
The way I deal with it is specifying how long a loop you want in Ableton - or any other host for that matter - and having the MIDI clock from your Master VST looper controlling both the tempo and constantly looping the host itself.
This gives you "techno-tight" synchronization with the looper as Sync Master.

Cheers,
Lasse

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 6:54 PM, SP Goodman <spgoodman@earthlight.net> wrote:
> Actually what's everyone's preferred VST Host?

Bidule, because I use the looper as the Sync Master. And Bidule is the
only host I have found that really follows a VST plug-in's tempo well.
But this combination is now my second choice.

There are few plug-ins that I only have access to only as their VST
builds, so I mainly stick to an AU host instead, MainStage by Apple. I
don't use many AU plug-ins anyway, mainly a few of the built-in Logic
plug-ins and the SountToys Native Bundle. SoundToys was just released
as VST too, but for years they have only been available as RTAS and
AU.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se