Re: Sooperlooper or Mobius? Going back to software.

The buffer sizes are set in the ASIO driver software that comes with
the RME800.

Cubase, in turn, measures the latency and does the correction  (and
also displays the latency values.)

For live looping, one must consider the "round trip" amount (that is,
the sum of the inbound and outbound latency).

Indeed, there is some processor latency, too -- however I've never
noticed it with my computer (4gig ram and a 3.4ghz CPU).  The only
time processing latency becomes a factor is for granular effects
(i.e. pitch-shifting).  Most pitch-shifters allow you to specify the
grain size in milliseconds.

However, I am now off on a tangent -- and while I'm there...

I will comment on one last year's pet projects: namely to sync
external loopers with my laptop via MIDI Clock.

I lost a lot of time and energy trying to get this to work -- and
finally abandoned the notion and decided that when I use a laptop, I
will loop with the laptop, and when I use an external looper, I will
NOT use it with a laptop (or at least, won't try to sync it to the
laptop).

The problem has to do with the computer's MIDI Clock stability.  When
I experimented with the LP1 and my laptop, I discovered that I could
get drift and glitch free performance when I reduced the PCI load to
the bare-bones minimum.  That is, I minimized all windows, and reduced
the bandwidth to my RME800 to the minimum number of channels I needed.

However, with windows open, there is more data traveling across the
PCI buss to the video card  (I've already disabled all networking
devices except for USB and Firewire).  This caused the MIDI Clock to
be just unstable enough to cause occasional and unpredictable glitches.

In the past, I never could sync my RC50 to the laptop -- likely the
same issue.

Computers sync up with SMPTE Clock ok -- and will likely work ok with
MTC (Midi Time Code), but computer-based MIDI CLOCK hasn't worked well
for me.

I have had some success using the delay on my (vintage) DPS-V55 to
record short loops on the laptop.  The laptop sends TAP messages (via
MIDI) to the DPS-V55 and then records the resulting taps to a short
loop.  Once the loop is recorded, the DPS-V55 has done its job -- the
loop plays and that is that.  (In other words, no need to sync the
DPS-V55 and the laptop).

However, MIDI Clock works great for sending out clock pulses that
otherwise aren't sync'd.  I've been messing with my RC50 -- sending
MIDI CLOCK from the RC50 to my analog (modular) synth's MIDI to CV
converter.  The converter converts the MIDI START to a "reset trigger"
and the MIDI Clock messages to Clock Triggers.  I use these triggers
to step my sequencer and Voila! -- my synth plays in sync with the
RC50, tracks all the tempo changes, etc.

OK OK... I probably should create a video or something to demonstrate
this stuff -- I'll add it to the "do list".

Forgive my tangent here... the issue of latency leads to the issue of
hardware, external devices, and sync and then my mind runs amok.

-- Kevin