DEFINING CULTURAL YEAR of the DECADE

this has been an interesting topic, i'm not sure if i want to be the judge of this since i listen to very little radio or pop music anymore.
at beginning of this school yr (aug 08) music writer chuck klosterman came to speak at U of IA for welcome week, and he had some interesting points.
he talked about how hard it is to be a music fan nowadays since w/ the internet, styles of music come in and out of fashion so fast, here today, gone today idea.
just said w/ that its hard to develop a large group to like a style of music or to even maintain a music scene for a particular style (i think his example was goth music, he said he felt bad for folks who like that type of music, didn't seem to be much out there for it now)
his other point was in talking w/ someone about music/internet, he discovered that a lot of people seem to define themselves by what they HATE in music, and he made the decision to define himself by what he LIKES in music (his point was KISS and 80s hair metal-he's pretty funny about that). that was just an idea that really stuck w/ me and i've thought about a lot over the last few months.

i know for me i've been buying very little music lately, every few months i go to this used record store in town that i've gone to since college, and last week i bought: miles davis-dark magus, john mclaughlin-devotion, and mickey baker-wildest guitar.. the live miles davis album is amazing. been listening to that a lot in the last few days. leave it to me to discover things from 30 yrs ago...and i really like devotion too...oh well.
happy looping...
s---