Re: OT While my guitar gently weeps

Charles Zwicky wrote:
> The Solo on "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" is played through a Leslie
> cabinet, unlike any other Beatles guitar solo.
> This also contributes to the 'wide vibrato' you mention.
The wobble is mostly due to hand manipulation of the varispeed.
Monday 14 October 1968; Chirs Thomas: "So we did this flanging thing,
really wobbling the oscillator in the mix.  I did that for hours.  What
a boring job!"
from The Beatles Recording Sessions by Mark Lewisohn.
Previously, this book explains that an oscillator was used to determine
tape speed by controlling the pinch motor's speed.  We are left to
conclude that two machines were playing the guitar solo more or less in
sync but one machine's oscillator (i.e. tape speed) was being
manipulated to, as per Eric Clapton's suggestion, make the guitar have a
more Beatles sound than a Clapton one.

Cheers,

Bill