Re: OT: StringPort for polyphonic guitars

Warren Sirota wrote:
> yeah, except that, according to Keith, piezos have more cross-talk than
> magnetic hex pickups.

According to Matthias, the opposite is true :-)

http://www.mathons.com/polysystem.htm

I've measured the GK-2A, it does have significant cross-talk.
(wish I could find the figures)

> and, it seems to me, the real game here is a
> beyond-midi kind of tight coupling between your playing and whatever
> synth/electronic sounds you're controlling.

Yep, doesn't look like it offers the option of using the string
as a direct sound source.
I thought that was the point...but I guess not.

The downside of that system is that the latency all adds up.

You get audio in and out latency from the computer,
plus the time it takes to identify the pitch.
Either of those on their own might me not too bad,
but add all 3 together it's bound to be noticeable.

Very neat looking system tho'.

andy

original link:-

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/stringport/indexb.html