VIOLA DA GAMBA was: Duduk and melancholic instrument

Stephen Moyes wrote:
"I'm not sure if she has ever been mentioned here before, but the French
musician Colleen (aka Cecile Schott) has made some wonderful music using
the viola da gamba and also does a certain amount of live looping. I can
particularly recommend her album 'les ondes silencieuses'.
www.colleenplays.org/   "

Cool you mentioned her.   She's a really unusual and very sensitive
musician.

after hearing her I went and researched the Violo Da Gamba
(not knowing it)

I found out some interesting things.    It was played sitting down in an
upright position like a modern day cello.
I had a flat fretboard and was tuned in 4ths except for one 3rd string
which led to the modern guitar tuning.

I read that music written with it was a lot more sophisticated
harmonically because of the fretting and
six strings and the ability to play chords easily in tune.

Cellos were much louder, having steel strings which supplanted the gut
strings of the Gamba and eventually caused the instrument to cease to be
used in repertoire.
There was ,  if I get my sources correct,  a reduction in harmonic
sophistication after it's demise but I can't find the original piece of
writing that said this.

here's the wikipedia article on this fascinating instrument

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viol_

Thanks for mentioning Collen, Steve!