Re: Syncopath Specifications/Comparison (Was: New Software Looper)

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Lasse juul Kolding <dubbilan@gmail.com>
wrote:
> What is popularly referred to as a time-stretching algorithm, where no
>pitch
> change occurs, is a granular re-synthesis of the sound.

Yep. Or used the other way around: to change pitch and instantly
calculate a new loop length to keep the loop rhythmically accurate. So
far no real-time software does this as far as I know. Many
applications does it well if audio is pre recorded though (Pro Tools,
Live, Logic...). The ElctrixPro Repeater hardware looper did it quite
well, although with a certain latency due to the complex calculations
involved. I had one of those a while back and to me it sounded pretty
cool when the Repeater was "playing catch up" as soon as you changed
loop pitch or tempo.

> Syncopath does not do this, so maybe the "no, pitch changes with the
>tempo"
> would be a better fit.

That sounds more like changing the Speed or the Rate of the loop. I
personally like that better. Not only because it is accurate with no
latency but also because both pitch and length of the loop changes and
you can use that for funny musical tricks when playing.

> One thing you could add I guess is that it runs on OSX and Windows,

Sorry, I fixed that now. Can't believe I forgot it in the first place.

Nice to move to Berlin! Wish you all the best luck with the move. It's
long way. I visited Berlin this summer; a wonderful city! Put up some
Berlin pictures here http://pix.looproom.com/  (some people on the
looper's list in those pix)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen - www.perboysen.com