Re: OT things of sad beauty

Yo Rick,

If you are in a mood to hear some somber but beautiful music, in
addition to the piece you shared and the several other composers and
works being suggested in this thread - like Gorecki and Vaughn Williams
(which are also faves of mine too) - I also have a couple of additional
suggestions.

Check out some the works of Estonian composer Arvo Pärt (mostly to be
found on ECM but not entirely) much of his work could be so described.

Another composer you  might try is Alan Hovaness (his piece "Mysterious
Mountain" in particular) not so much sad as somber and majestic.

And some of the saddest music I have ever heard is on a disk by
Armenian duduk player Djivan Gasparyan called "I Will Not Be Sad in
This World" - quite possibly one of the most profoundly moving CDs in
my entire collection.

Sadly (!) that last one is out of print . . . but is still available
used here and there.

It's a "desert island" disk for me.

Makes me weep every time.

Remember . . . sad is just like happy . . . but for "deep" people (LOL).

Cheers,

Ted