Re: OT Re: DEFINING CULTURAL YEAR of the DECADE

Has anyone read The Game Players of Titan? If I am remembering the correct PK Dick book, the society there is one in which unconsumed production is so plentiful that little mechanical gnats fly around everywhere to whisper advertisements in people's ears. or something like that.

I think that many of us more, umm.... "seasoned", members are straddling the bridge between cultures of creation and cultures of editing. There is so much raw musical material out there, even massive amts under Creative Commons licenses, that it really does make sense to make your art out of remixing it, without ever playing a note on an instrument. So much sense that I've actually never done it, but I think that if I'm going to start using loops I didn't make, I'd rather do it from obscure Creative Commons stuff than pre-made libraries that everyone has and recognizes.

Still, there is always a longing in certain branches of the culture for authenticity, providing you have a good singer(s). Instrumental chops that aren't in support of the singer have very narrow application in the current culture, IMO.

Warren