Re: What does it mean to you, to "release a record"?

Howdy,

In the digital age that's a good question.

The last time I actually tried releasing something of my own it was in
2001 and the label I was on supplied me with a fairly well weeded out
mailing list of publications, radio stations and reviewers to mail it
to.

I guess you you could call that DIY "old school" marketing method.

I mailed out about hundreds of CDs with:
        A well-written "press release" suitable for publication directly.
        A concise "artistic bio" including a performance history and any
awards won. contact info.
        A current photo of myself with my instrument.
        A sheet with some other other "press quotes".
        A professionally produced and mastered CD.
        A small "special note" (larger than a business card or post-it
note
but smaller than a full sheet) on bright colored paper with clear
printed contact information and a request to "PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU
NO LONGER WISH TO RECEIVE MATERIALS FROM THIS LABEL."

That last thing, although it seems unimportant, is helpful for both the
label and the recipient to keep the mailing list effective.

I still think the concept of an "album" is useful.

I think of it sort of as I think of the chapters in a book - marking
the beginning and end of a portion of the story . . . so far.

Frankly I have not done another "solo" CD since then - only the
occasional collaboration with others.

I feel like I am still "between chapters" so to speak personally.

If you send out something like a press packet, as I did, expect only a
very modest return.

These people are slammed for time and cannot possibly look at and
listen to everything.

Therefore, try to think of something that will make your CD stand out
from the rest (just a little).

It could be something graphical that you have on the package, or
something about the package itself.

The style of packaging suggested by the label my CD came out on was
that the CD itself should be tied with twine or string (or something)
instead of shrink-wrapped, to make it just a little unusual.

A non-jewelcased product was easier and cheaper to post as well.

Best regards,

tEd ® KiLLiAn

Creativity represents a miraculous coming together of the uninhibited
energy of the child with its apparent opposite and enemy, the sense of
order imposed on the disciplined adult intelligence. – Norman Podhoretz

http://www.myspace.com/tedkillian
http://www.reverbnation.com/tedkillian
http://www.pfmentum.com/PFMCD007.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
http://guitarplayer.com/article/y2k6-international-live/Jun-07/27768

Ted Killian's "Flux Aeterna" is also available at Apple iTunes