Re: WAH WAHS

How wonderful with a dedicated wha-wha thread! :-)) I just want to
post in that I love wha-wha as an instrument,! Not "as effect" though.
For guitar players there are really cool ways to go poly rhythmic with
a wha pedal by tapping a different filtering beat than the beat you
are playing with your hands. Please don't dismiss the wha by simply
judging it by some tasteless four-on-the-floor pedal tap filtering you
may have heard! A wha pedal can also be used as a constant filter to
dig out a certain frequency band to boost regarding what you are
playing related to the ensemble situation. In any band groove there is
always one frequency that is best to deliver the riff you are playing
on the guitar;  depending on what drums are played, how they are tuned
and what notes the bass plays. So rather than tapping the pedal
rhythmically the guitarist can use the pedal to "mix" hos own
instrument into the summed band sound. Listening to Jimi Hendrix is
good for an example of both these wha-wha concepts.

Regarding Rick Walker's "rapidly changing timbre" I guess that
expression is targeting those typical "Funk Bass Synth" sounds that
some Moog payers used in the eighties. I fully agree that these sounds
suck (because they are not played but generated by an envelope
following the input level or attack). The problem with these sounds is
that they do not provide a solid body of sound attack as the filter
sweep goes too far through the frequency register - which is different
to most analog wha-wha pedals.

Related: I personally learned something very important once from a
female vocalist I was playing guitar with. We had also a drummer and
an electric bass player in the band, but my guitar playing was to
support the main harmonic foundation for here to phrase the vocals.
She was very specific in what guitars I should use and we discussed it
and experimented a lot to found out why certain electric guitars
worked and others did not work as a harmonic foundation for vocal
phrasing (on top there-of). What I found was that the guitars that was
"good for singing" had a firm low mid frequency tone. They were
consistent in the frequencies that you typically hear when covering
your ears by your hands. So that frequency band was what she heard the
best through the internal sound of her own voice while singing. After
shifting around bodies, necks and pickups I found that it was one
particular stratocaster body that delivered the best frequency
response for her vocal shaping. This body was best no matter what neck
or pickups it used. I would never have guessed that, so I'm grateful
we took the time to do all that experimenting.

And speaking from a decade of sound design added on top of that
particular guitar/vocal ensemble experience I would say that these
lower mid frequencies are important to create a punchy feel in any
sound. If the response isn't firm down there you won't get more
fatness by rolling off high end treble. So Rick's "rapidly changing
timbre" is a good way of destroying that "punchy feel". Another
effective way to destroy punchy fatness is to enhance bass frequencies
too much; such a treated signal may sound "fat" when monitored outside
a musical context but as soon as you try to play music with it you
will find that the sound is "too slow" to be felt punchy. Gotta stop
here because this ramble is getting into the area where you start
talking about how "groove" and "swing" doesn't have to do with timing
only but also with timbre and that's a another long story....

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)