Re: LOOPER AS SOUND ENGINEER was distortion,overdrive,fuzz,crunch,special sauce,secret goo (goo especially)

Sound engineers have problems when they have little to no idea what the music is "supposed" to sound like (as defined by say, the artist) and when they have little to no clue as to where a particular sound is coming from.

A lot of looping folks produce non-standard sounds from their instrument, so figuring out how to make something louder or quieter in the mix is often more difficult that with a more conventional musical performance (for a venue soundman).   Plus, figuring out what's in the loop and what's not---it's a miracle the soundman can ever make sense of what's going on in these situations.

And re: programmable digital EQ's with settings for a given "room": a room is never the same acoustic space twice.  Heck, the difference between soundcheck and the gig is usually pronounced due to people coming and going.

TH