Re: distortion, overdrive,fuzz,crunch,special sauce, secret goo

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Sjaak <tcplugin@scarlet.be> wrote:
> Yes, I know the FB01. I never liked the 4-operator FM sound but I
>remember there was a bass patch in the DX-21 which sounded fantastic,
>might be that same patch :) It's a pity the DX-series is so difficult to
>program. I still use a DX-7 though, another classic.
>
>> And I still have my Roland Jupiter 8.  I love that keyboard so much...
>> AND... I still use it a fair bit.  Nothing can touch it's amazing
>> LFO.  I think analogue rules for synth sounds.
>
> Wow...now that's a piece of gear. Never used one myself but I love it's
>sounds for strings and pads. But what is so special about the LFO? Btw: I
>have been using virtual analogs for the last 10 years. But I've sold them
>all and bought a new Prophet 08. And I don't regret my decision.
>
> Sjaak

Wow, long time since I heard anyone mention the FB01. Never got one
myself back in the days, knowing I found only one usable sound in my
old TX81Z. (another FM-synthesis module of the same family). I had a
go at a Jupiter 8 once though and thought it sounded awesome! Fat,
smooth and sharp tone. By the early eighties I lived in a huge flat
with no furniture so fiends in bands sometimes asked to dump their
gear at my place between gigs. This particular week my home was
guested by a Prophet Five and a Jupiter 8. I liked the J8 a bit
better. Having an analog eight track tape machine studio in the flat I
used to record different gear for private A/B sound comparing just out
of interest.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
"Analog is like mud and digital is like glass" - Spinal Tap