Re: Mahavishnu Orchestra: seminal recordings was: one guitarist one drummer

No,

It was a young black guy (late teens or very early 20s).

I forget but I may know another way to find out . . .

Ah . . . yes.

I just dug through a drawer where I keep a lot of old "ephemera" and
found the ticket stub for the concert.

It was Matthew Garrison.

The whole linup was John MLaughlin and "The Heart of Things" band with:

Gary Thomas: Sax
Matthew Garrison: E-Bass
Dennis Chambers: Drums
Jim Beard: Piano

Joey DeFrancesco's trio (with Paul Bollenbeck on guitar) was the
opening act and Joey came out and played some totally smokin' jazz
organ with John at some point later in the later's set.

Best regards,

tEd ® KiLLiAn

http://www.myspace.com/tedkillian
http://www.reverbnation.com/tedkillian
http://www.pfmentum.com/PFMCD007.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
http://guitarplayer.com/article/y2k6-international-live/Jun-07/27768

Ted Killian's "Flux Aeterna" is also available at Apple iTunes

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when
it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."  —  Anne
Lamott (Traveling Mercies, although on page 22 of Bird by Bird she
attributes this quote to "my priest friend Tom")