Re: distortion, overdrive,fuzz,crunch,special sauce, secret goo

Yeah, but you probably also can't play your articulate clean ideas with much heavier strings and higher action than you're currently using--does that mean that your current instrument setup (whatever it might be) is generating an illusion of technique?  I don't think so.

Whatever tools make it easiest to produce your desired end result, by all means, use those, but the whole "make the young bucks play through a clean amp" thing doesn't make sense to me.  Is anyone surprised when that sort of playing doesn't sound great through the wrong amp settings?