Re: Mahavishnu Orchestra: seminal recordings was: one guitarist one drummer

I never got to see the Mahvishnu Orchestra live.

I got to see John McLaughlin live with his "Belo Horizonte" era group
once . . . and a later group with Dennis Chambers (another marvelous
drummer), organist Joey DeFrancesco, and some young bass player who's
name I forget back in '97 or '98.

I bought all the LPs, 8-tracks, cassettes and CDs that they (and he)
ever put out though.

My first introduction to John and the M.O. was the old "In Concert" TV
program they used to put on in the US.

Concert footage of them performing a couple of pieces from "Birds of
Fire" was broadcast and I was totally hooked for life.

I believe one of the pieces they did was "One Word" that had a rather
mind-blowing drum solo in it.

The thing I always loved about Johns early playing is that it was so
fiery, passionate and furious as to be almost out of control at one
moment  . . . and then tender and lyrical a little later on in the same
song.

I am by no means anything near the musician McLaughlin is but that
ability to couple fury and abandon with lyrical tenderness and
sensitivity is something that has been a deep DNA-level influence on
me.

And what can you say about Billy Cobham?

He's still out touring and making music too (I've a friend that plays
in his band).

McLaughlin has continued to make music too . . . but although I'm still
a fan, his music seems less passionate, and much more "in control",
tidy and concise.

I really regret not having been able to see the first version of the
M.O. live in person.

I hear there are some decent DVDs out now containing come of that
material.

If John and Billy ever went out and traded jab "toe-to-toe" like they
did in those days they'd be a thing to see (and hear).

Nostalgia? Yes in deed.

Best regards,

tEd ® KiLLiAn

http://www.myspace.com/tedkillian
http://www.reverbnation.com/tedkillian
http://www.pfmentum.com/PFMCD007.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
http://guitarplayer.com/article/y2k6-international-live/Jun-07/27768

Ted Killian's "Flux Aeterna" is also available at Apple iTunes

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when
it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."  —  Anne
Lamott (Traveling Mercies, although on page 22 of Bird by Bird she
attributes this quote to "my priest friend Tom")