Re: One Guitarist, One Drummer

Thanks for your reaction, Kris. To each their own, eh? I personally find
Nels' mastery of the guitar (having seen him an embarrassing number of
times) to be nearly unmatched, in terms of command of technique and
sound. If we're singling out articulation, yeah...I don't know any
guitarist, or even other instrumentalist, who can match Trane there.

I personally find distortion to be one way in which a guitar can
approach the dynamic expressiveness of a wind instrument. When Coltrane
screams through his sax, there's nothing like it, but I think distortion
IS screaming (and hence, I hate when people use distortion on ballads, a
la Joe Satriani). The clean jazz tone has a rich tradition to it, but if
you're trying to capture that same explosive, raging, screaming power
that a saxophone can produce when really set free, I find some juice to
be useful. Or a lot of juice :-D . But there's personal taste to be
accounted for, and history too when we're talking about classic albums.

checking out Billy Kilson now, thanks for the ref.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com