Semi-OT: Stone Playing (not Playing Stoned ;-) was Re: Semi-OT: Prehistoric looping?)

I had a chance to visit India in 2006. I made the time to visit two ancient cave dwellings/compounds, Ajanta & Ellora (Aurangabad District, Maharashtra State). In Ajanta, in one of the caves, a local man was trying to earn a few rupees by pointing things out to tourists. At a particularly quiet moment when most people were outside of this particular cave, I started toning & chanting softly. This Indian man then harmonized with me while he chanted in Sanskrit. This lasted for awhile. I wished I had been carrying my portable recorder, because the sound within the stone cave was amazing. This particular one had a dome like a cathedral. I guess I am just going to have to go back & record it ;-) After our vocalizations, he pointed out how certain stone columns (these are all monolithic structures, carved out of the mountain stone, so a "column" is an integral part of the mountain) produced different sounds & pitches just when hit with our bare hands. It was stunning to me to hear & play these different & beautiful tones from these rocks. The ultimate hand percussion instrument...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajanta_Caves

Blessings,

Eduardo Martinez
musician - composer - artist