Re: ART Regular Output vs. Inspiration

> Dear Sjaak,
> The one thing I find since you mentioned that your
> Camp I personality is your perfectionist personality,
> it that the biggest problem I see amongst all artists is
> that their editing faculties outweigh their creative faculties.

Yep, that's true. The good news is that the LD list and the CT-collective
help us to be more creative. Without these communities, I was probably
still in my dark studio arranging and sequencing, not practicing live
looping. It’s actually so much more fun to create live improvisation music
and it kind of makes you much more interesting as an artist too.

> In a way,  it is what it is as we do live in an increasingly media
>dependent
> and media saturated society,   but the output of younger artists seems to
> have dramatically dropped off (ironically at the same time).   In our
> region, the number of places that a young musical group can perform has
>also
> (and perhaps commensorately) dropped off.

I don’t have many contacts in the student world but I recognize the
phenomena that it’s more difficult to find a place to play live. The good
thing about my city Antwerp is that the city counsel recognized the need
to promote music for the youth so they have started a music centre in 2003
called Trix where you can rehearse, give parties for 400 people with a DJ,
do free try-outs with your act on a big stage with a PA, light show and
technician…organize listen sessions (literature). This is offered for very
reasonable prices and sometimes even for free. I think the social and
cultural spin off of this kind of initiatives is always a good thing for
the society. Btw: this is the place where livelooping.be festival might
take place next year ;)

But I’m wondering why younger artists are dropping off. Mass media is
certainly a big factor: we all know how many hours our kids spent on the
internet or playing games in stead of doing more social activities like
playing outside, making music etc I have the feeling it more difficult to
encourage or motivate them compared to the past, because they are bombed
and triggered by the mass media.

> I didn't think a band could really call itself a band until it had
> 50 live shows under it's belt (how else do you learn how to do a sound
>check
> under bad circumstances; get a great stage sound when your monitors are
> shit, etc.).

lol. But it’s true; the best way to learn swimming is to jump into the
pool. You haven’t played live if nothing did go wrong. And although it can
be annoying at the moment itself, you learn a lot from it plus…and that’s
the best part…you can laugh about it later on. Could be great thread btw:
your worst moment as a live artist :)

> I ramble a bit,  but my point is that the CAMP 2 approach seems to be the
> best approach just to merely conteract these trends.

But I do like the Camp I approach (not the perfectionist); it’s maybe a
little closer to the way we would like to see an artist, so not being
pushed by the society. Is that what you were saying?
---
Sjaak
http://www.livelooping.be/
http://www.overgaauw.be/
http://www.myspace.com/sjaakovergaauw

---
Reeds meer dan 2000 Scarlet klanten betalen geen abonnement meer!
Doe mee en surf ook gratis! >> http://www.scarlet.be/nl/mgm