Re: ART Regular Output vs. Inspiration

Good post Rick. I would like to add my personal view on this discussion.
In case I use the wrong words, please forgive me because it’s not easy to
express myself well in this type of philosophical threads while English is
not your mother language. Here we go

The Camp II approach has a couple of advantages compared Camp I. First of
all, the more artwork you deliver, the more feedback you get from other
people. You will use this feedback unconsciously as an input for your next
piece, or mix them with other ideas, emotions etc. To say it in other
words: your own creative process works like a kind of looper: the brain
acts like a mixer and a filter and your state of mind decides what comes
out if. So I think you’re right about the fact that the camp II approach
result in more diverse artwork because of these many different inputs.

It might that some Camp I individuals will be able to produce top pieces
though, but over time, I believe the average quality of Camp II will be
higher. Why? Because Camp II is constantly learning and applying what they
learned, putting in more experience in the process. And don’t forget the
psychological component of this whole process: having deadlines and be
less critical towards yourself is an experience on it’s own and Camp I
folks will miss that.

I guess that in our daily lives, and depending of your state of mind, the
individual artist is ping-ponging between Camp I and II. At least I’m. My
Camp 1 brother is the perfectionist, my Camp II the guy who really wants
to achieve something, so setting deadlines is something I’m doing more and
more compared to the past. For example, what I learned from the LD
community is that you simply should start making live improvisation music
in stead of keep talking and reading about it.

If you’re in Camp I, you might even be waiting for ever before you think
the time has come for your master piece of the year. Having too much time
is not always good. I know from experience that having too much time and
technology can kill your creative flow. In fact, spending too much time on
tiny little details won’t add much to the overall result. I still think
the first approach often is the best one.

Yes, you may even have a more relaxed and chilly life compared to the Camp
II guys but in the end you will end up with very little, maybe even
nothing or you’re not understood by the audience because they can’t put
your single master piece into the context of you as an artist, or compare
with your other works. And besides that, I think diversity says a lot
about the artist. The more you see and hear about a person, the better you
are able to figure out what the artist is all about, what he/she tries to
say or show, and what he/she is good at. And btw: that will differ from
person to person. In other words: you might “think” they like your work
for reason A, but it could be B, or C or D.
---
Sjaak
http://www.livelooping.be/
http://www.overgaauw.be/
http://www.myspace.com/sjaakovergaauw

---
Reeds meer dan 2000 Scarlet klanten betalen geen abonnement meer!
Doe mee en surf ook gratis! >> http://www.scarlet.be/nl/mgm