Moronic question

..." sampling involves the use
> of "real" sounds while synthesis, synthetic ones"

Is a human doing bird calls synthesizing? (I spent some time around a tame cougar who would do very good bird
 calls trying to lure the birds closer)
I would say anything stored as digital media is synthetic ,but as soon as it is turned into audio
,which can be heard with real ears,it at that moment becomes real sound.

As for no one managing to replicate acoustic sources,many have done so ,but not necessarly at a level of precision
satisfying to lovers of acoustic instruments. I've found Korg physical modeling of some acoustic instruments to be
pretty convincing for section/support,not for solos. Put a real horn as top voice w/ the synthetic/sampled section breath through
 the mouth in sync with the parts while playing and it works pretty well.Won't necessarily stand up to microscopic analysis,but heard in a mix,
sounds like a real horn section
A significant factor is that people playing sampled or synthetic versions of acoustic instruments on a keyboard don't get the
expressive qualities of the instrument no matter how convincing the timbre. Playing a marimba or vibes sample with one
finger of each hand gets much closer to the feel of two mallets than you can with one hand playing the same part. I think it's much
fu to do stuff the 'real instrument would never do.