Art/Discipline

"....makes it more
difficult to market oneself to the world at large because this approach
encourages a lot of stylistic diversity which makes it tough for people to":
categorize your recordings in record stores and online."

One solution is to create multiple personalities/bands/brands etc. and market different identities in different ways to different target tribes,audiences
(or audients for Really exclusive musical cults).
I like to get a few of my personas to collaborate as a band
This approach also makes it easier to kill off a persona and get the promo advantage of being dead,without having to actually die.