Re: a moronic question

You can replicate a single note via a sampler pretty darned well. What is much harder to replicate realistically are incidental noises and non-pianistic techniques in a particular idiom (especially if you're trying to trigger them via MIDI, an extremely keyboard-centric view of the world). Even playing a single note on my guitar - how hard I pluck it determines both how "slappy" (as in bass slapping) it sounds, and also how much of a little fret buzz coming in after the 2nd note hits. And the attack of the 2nd note, being a hammer-on, is quite different than the attack of the first (and is impossible for the sampler to even begin to model, since all it gets is a MIDI pitch change message from the controller - how does it know it's a hammer?). You'd need a pretty smart sample player, with many layers of samples being triggered under different circumstances to do a reasonable job, and even then the nature of MIDI would frequently defeat you (depending on controller and its match to the instrument being modelled).