Re: ART Regular Output vs. Inspiration

I can relate to this, not in terms of regular output, but rather of
output bound to any sort of external constraints as opposed to
inspiration alone. Since moving to Mexico in 2004 I've composed music
for two weddings, both obviously having a strict deadline and fixed
requirements in terms of the amount of music needed, the style, etc.
These projects not only pushed me to generate some of my most favorite
material ever, but sent me in a new artistic direction. I found that
constraints like this can be tremendously valuable, and every bit as
valid as, say, having a "concept" for an album before beginning to
record it, which I've also found to be very useful.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com