Re: a moronic question

Perhaps it depends if you needing a technical/semantic distinction or
a distinction in common usage.  Without wanting to play devil's
advocate, but isn't ALL sampling a form of synthetic reproduction of
an original waveform?  The arguments above could be taken to imply
that photographs are 'the real thing' whilst paintings are merely
artistic approximations, when both are just differing forms of
synthetic production.  Similarly, wavetable synthesis, which I don't
claim to understand in technical detail, involves synthesis based on
sampling.  It is also not difficult to conceive of recombinant
sampling techniques that will generate wholly new sounds based on
sample mixing at anywhere from the sample level of microsound to the
sonic event level.  In thus respect, a dualism as stated is possibly
too simplistic.

but, yes, for the purposes of common usage, sampling involves the use
of "real" sounds while synthesis, synthetic ones ;)

-looplog

--
networking practice for sound environments :: http://nowhere.iamnobody.net