Re: What shall I buy? EDP or Looperlative?

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 11:38 AM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:

>> However, for me (not necessarily applying to you)  this looper
>> comparison is much a question about the ability to cue loops. The EDP
>> does this with the function "Moore Loops" but the LP1 doesn't do it at
>> all.
>
> Interesting I didnt know this, so with LP1 you are always basicaly IN ONE
> LOOP, just one with multiple tracks, of difernt lengths, some muted, some
> playing?

;-)  Well.... weren't you just describing "multiple parallel loops"?
If the loops had to be of the same length I would agree that we're
talking about "one loop", but since the LP1 offers you track sync I
think of it as many parallel loops playing back over different tracks.
Not like the Repeater, that is to be regarded as one loop on four
tracks, although any track can be a multiple length of any other
(Multiply functionality).

I thought a lot about this absence of MoreLoops-like cuing in LP1,
also regarding SooperLooper, and in praxis you are able to set up your
commands with "Mute" in a way that the LP1 actually behaves as if
there was a loop cuing function. But when doing this you have to
consider the limitation of eight tracks. Personally I have never
played a song that use more than five cued loops though and I doubt
eight stereo tracks would be a limit for me. I'm just more comfortable
with using one track and cue up the loops on it to jump between them.

> Not true, you missunderstood... I DO USE More loops to do as you
>describe,
> And never MUTE between tracks (Im guessing you mean on Repeater, cos EDP
> doesnt do this... but I guess It would if I had 2)

Ok. Well, on the LP1 you may want to get deep with muting.

> I kind of use MORE LOOPS like a "quick save" If I get something going I
>like
> I pop into loop 2 with soundcopy (I usually have moreloops =3) and hit
> multiply, and go imediatly back to Loop1.. then continue to fuck about in
> that loop, till either its different, or ruined ha ha, then I can pop
>back
> into L1 to retrieve the nice version... I do that on Loop 2 as well, and
> have 2 "restore points" ha ha!!!

Ah... I see! I do that too sometimes. On the EDP I did it very much,
but now on Mobius I have sort of started to use the Undo/Redo buttons
for this. Now when Mobius offers markers to cut out layers of no
interest it is a pretty intuitive tool for real-time editing of your
recent ramblings.

>> In fact I had that setup long ago
>> with an EDP, a Repeater and an Alesis MMT8 (later replaced by a
>> PowerBook). Uuhhh...  scary thought... must say I prefer my new way of
>> doing it all inside one box, by different software. 'nuff said..
>
> Heh heh... That Scary thought IS the setup I have now, except that I
>have a
> drum machine instead of your MMT8... But I rarely use it with carefully
> planned sequences, I just have a few nice edp glitching effects
>programmed
> that I fire off once in a while.

Yeah - I too used that looper routing more as "an effect box" than as
a "realt-time composing box". A fun trick was to send pitch changing
notes to the Repeater while overdubbing into it  ;-))  But I found
that easier to control with Augustus Loop hosted by Live 5 and later
by Mobius scripting.

I think an important point in using loopers is to free yourself from
the need of performing prepared compositions in order to make the
music sound interesting. Rather "bad" music, by traditional means, may
come out extremely interesting from a live looping performance if you
just keep up a quick flow in changing the loop over time. The mistake
that often kills music in non looping situations is that the musicians
"go too fast forward", presenting too much information at once and
totally miss out on the storytelling aspect of music. With loopers
it's just the natural way to build it up and you only have to be
careful about the pace you lay out your story for the listener. And
vice versa - loopist's trap is rather to go too slowly and become
boring ;-))

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen