instant composition/experimental/etc

ok-wow, these are some good points-and a lot of these ideas where things we talked about when i was in grad school (MFA-painting)  back in the 90's...
the question comes down to WHY CREATE AT ALL?
boy you could go on for days on that....
and who is your audience....days again
i think for me-since i've been playing guitar since 1983, is that i enjoy it. i just love making noise/whatever. i'm really horrible at playing other songs, had no desire to do it, just loved playing, and i never thought i was good enough, then starting writing songs in '97, and i would compare the process similar to drawing or painting. sometimes it goes quick, sometimes it takes forever....
when i finally got the nerve up in '06 to play at an open mic nite locally-i realized some things: IT'S HARD! playing acoustic/singing songs i wrote-REMEMBERING THEM ONSTAGE!
it gave me an appreciation for singers-sure, i secretly will mock madonna/britney/whoever, but I'M NOT UP ON A STAGE DANCING (which i can't do), SINGING (whatever) AND WEARING THE OUTFITS THEY WEAR, you really have to have a certain type of personality to pull that off-and i don't have it...

i also like to know historical precedents in everything i do, and always loved Zappa's idea of instant composition when he played live w/ his band, like philip guston (painter) said: there's a lot of preparation for a few moments of innocence(paraphrase))....

one of the things we talked about in grad school w/ ideas of making art was the "inner need". ask yourself if you didn't do X-creative thing anymore, would you be ok? if i didn't draw i my little sketchbooks (on #429) or play guitar everyday, i get anxious...
s---
ps-great topics by the way, really makes me think. i don't think i answered anything, just more fuel on the fire.....

Being conscious of one's intent and actions can help progression, but another question?

Why play for anyone, anywhere? If a musician / artist / player / shaman states, "I play for myself and don't consider the audience at all."  What is the reason for the performance?

Composing is thinking about a form, just being aware of it. In theend you can't avoid it, at least in composition, as every piece hasa beginning and an end...

so then, why give it a single thought?