Re: Instant Composition

Interesting ... thanks Per ,Travis and Stefan.

And what about Cage ideas on improvising?
I think he didn't like the regular jazz improv. method,
but i remember to have read he found a way that
proved o.k. for improvising...
Anybody could tell me where i might have read this?
I own almost all the books from Marion Boyars Ed.,
but can't find the quote. Perhaps the internet...

Asked this same question in a Cage related forum but
never got an answer, possibly due to my bad english. :-(

Thanks,
Raül.

2008/11/20 Per Boysen <perboysen@gmail.com>
> Raul Bonell schrieb:

>> regarding improvisation, could you point out what xenakis' ideas versed
>> about it, please. i'm really interested. any related site?

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Stefan Tiedje
<stefantiedje@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Xenakis was not at all into improvising, but a lot into form in composition.
> He wrote a whole book about it called "Formalized Music"...
>
> In his time the stochastic ideas he had would not have been possible to
> achieve in realtime, all was done in a long process, at the end he would
> have a score, which normal musicians could read (and hardly play...;-)

It might be of interest to know that Xenakis very first inspiration
that lead him into starting to compose music was hearing the war
noise, as he was shot and lay wounded on the ground. The total
randomness of all those canons, guns and combat tanks and air crafts
made a huge impression on him, he writes in retrospect.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)