Re: Instant Composition

Being conscious of one's intent and actions can help progression, but another question?

Why play for anyone, anywhere? If a musician / artist / player / shaman states, "I play for myself and don't consider the audience at all."  What is the reason for the performance? Personal pleasure / Voyeurism (on the audience's part)?  No expectations at all? That is rarely the case: I've found that even the most diehard artiste usually has some expectation of themselves and their personal experience as well as hopes that the audience has some desired experience. Now we can ask why? Why the expectations?

I've asked myself this question many times in the last couple decades and found myself lacking because I DO selfishly play (or used to) with little regard for my audience. The longer I did this, the more uncomfortable it felt until I actually had trouble constructing sentences and began drooling too much to go out in public. 8-p  The cure for me has been to play acoustic folk music and sing badly, which has been quite liberating.

I DO desire recognition from my peers, but I now ask why? Community? Ephipany? Comfort? Pleasure? Ego? Embarrassment? Dig deep enough and the motivation can be troubling. It's always comforting to know people "get it" but I've had some fundamental philosophical dilemmas which discourage my enterprise and motivation. I mostly cease to care anymore and just play to hear music for myself. I've come to find after much personal inquiry, (and a good deal of interviewing others), that motivation mostly comes from outside of the musical experience. "To get laid", shallow as it sounds, actually makes a lot of sense.  *-)