Re: Rhythmic Randomness vs. Melodic Randomness

Rick Walker schrieb:
> Why does rhythmic randomness seem far more accepted than melodic or
>harmonic
> randomness?

Is it? I have my doubts.

> They both have very strong effects on the listener.

Anything which has a strong effect can be an artistic tool...

But I doubt that just random would add any information to the music.

Its like the difference between a sine wave and white noise. It doesn't
contain anything interesting. Random is only interesting as contrast.

But breaking rules or pulses can be very interesting, it doesn't mean
you have to use random decisions to do that. I prefer clear decisions
over dicing music unless the dice itself is what your music is about
(Cage...)

Or in short words, break the pulse: yes, random: no...

my 2 cents

--
Les Ondes Memorielles----x-------