Re: Acoustic Guitar and vocal FXs software

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 6:18 PM, L.Angulo <labaloops@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi gang,
> is there a good acoustic guitar software outhere like for ex.guitar rig
>but more for acoustic? essentials would be good analog delays,parametric
>and graphic eqs,reverbs octave pitch shifters and booster with the
>ability to be controlled by a midi FC.
> Also vocal harmonizers with efx such delays,reverbs,eqs etc.
> i would like to try this with mobius and see if i could minimize floor
>space.
> Thanx!
>
> Luis

Depend a little on what OS the computer is running. If using OS X you
can find all you need in MainStage (same plug-ins as Logic). However,
you can not make eventide type routings in Mainstage (typically
feedback effect send loops using Pitch Shifter and Delay). Same
plug-ins are of course available in Logic where you also can do that
kind of advanced effect signal routing. One advantage of these "host
built-in" plug-ins is that they are very easy on the CPU. I especially
find the impulse response reverb useful.

Ableton Live also offers a good palette of basic effects and advanced
routing capabilities (not totally up to the Logic fidelity, but good
enough). Runs on both Windows and OS X.

If we're leaving the all-in-one type of solutions I can recommend the
Native Bundle Package from www.soundtoys.com. Runs only on OS X (if
not using Pro Tools, then you can use the plug-in's RTAS versions in
Pro Tools Windows) and authorized by iLok. The SoundToys are really
about the best available, and especially gratifying for musicians that
like the eventide effect tradition. As long as my CPU admits it, I use
a SoundToys Pitch Shift rather than Logic's PitchShifter II. Same
effect but a tiny bit fatter, more "analog", sounding with SoundToys.
They also include advanced effect signal routing "Eventide-style",
which means you only have to assign MIDI pedals to the right
parameters inside the plug-in to play it live. Even though I like lush
plate reverb impulse response reverbs I would do fine with only the
tape delay and harmonizer of SoundToys. You can achieve the type of
reverb created by vintage tape delays with SoundToys and that's pretty
cool too. But there is no EQ coming with the SoundToys Native Bundle.
You really need an EQ, so I use Logic/MainStage's EQ and Compressor
(no Compressor from SoundToys either).

TAlking third-party plug-ins for Compressor and EQ I have owned
Sonalksis SV315 and SV517 for many years and found them useful. They
sound a bit "analog", but I like that. Sonalksis deliver for both
Windows and OS X. For my looping set-ups in Bidule I totally rely on
Sonalksis for compressor and EQ. I've even built a three band
multivcompressor in Bidule based on those two plug-ins. I wish I
wasn't forced to run Mobius standalone on the Mac so I could still run
the looper's main output through that home-built multi compressor!

I have tried and own many other plug-ins, but I won't mention them
because the ones above are those I find good enough for recommending.
I'm not a Mac Guy nor a PC guy but tend to chose OS X because of the
Logic plug-ins and the SoundToys plug-ins.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)