RC-50 vs. Laptop Setup: cost comparison

Hi Todd

sorry, took a while to get back to you... I'm posting this also for the
benefit of others on the list, hope you don't mind.

> I'm real tempted to go the hardware route
> Although I do have to buy more components I think I could get an
> rc-50, reverb, delay effects for a 1000 which seems like is the
> minimum just to get a laptop....

Well, do you really save that much - or at all?
Let's compare - assuming your need for one mono instrument:

LAPTOP SETUP (minimum): ca. 1400,- EUR
- "old" Macbook white with Firewire (ca. 950,-EUR)
- FCB1010 Midi Pedals (140,-)
- Echo AudioFire 4 (290,-)

RC-50 SETUP (minimum): ca. 750,- EUR
- RC-50 Loop Station (370,-)
- Expression Pedal, Footswitches: (>100,-EUR)
- Zoom G2.1u MultiFX Pedal (140,-)
- Minimixer (i.e. Mackie 402 VLZ3) (130,-)

now, the RC-50 Setup is really the bare minimum. My RC-50 setup alone
(without FX etc!) cost me roughly around 800,-EUR when you count all the
pedals, switches, AB-boxes etc.

RC-50 SETUP (with additional gear): ca. 1350,-
- RC-50 (370,-)
- Expression Pedals, Footswitches, Adapter cables  (>200,-)
- Nobels AB-V Switches (2x for stereo= 100,-)
- Simple Channel Strip, i.e. Joe Meek ThreeQ (200,-)
- Voicetone Create, for Reverb (230,-)
- Zoom G2.1u for MultiFx (140,-)
- Minimixer, i.e. Mackie 802 VLZ3 (220,-)

The laptop setup described above for 1400,- EUR can do pretty much all the
things as the RC-50 setup for 1350,- EUR.  Here, I would definitely opt
for the more flexible laptop solution - if I were to start with a new
setup.

I don't think MacBooks are a problem concerning memory nowadays. The old
MacBook models have a pretty good price now (with firewire).
Motu did have a bad reputation for PC drivers - but I haven't heard
anything bad the last years and I've checked with several people selling
it.
I would also recommend the Echo AudioFire 4 for a cheap (even cheaper)
alternative if you don't mind only 4 in/outs. Seems very stable and people
like it.

nice playing, btw :-)

Buzap