Re: Loop software with varispeed

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:33 AM, mark francombe <mark@markfrancombe.com>
wrote:
> upon pressing footpedal, will ,
> after quantise amount, shift to specifyed rate shift amount. so you
>release
> you pedal after a bit and insead of jumping back to corrct pitch
>imediatly,
> it waits till it has filled the "HOLE" left by speeding up the music, so
>for
> a 5th up it would play twice for every 1 8th that you recorded into. An
>8th
> DOWN would either insert an extra portion OR if it was half way through
>its
> 8th, could cut in half... (confused... yeah me too) Just an idea...
>
> Anyway, the idea is that despite stomping about in a 16 beat measure, and
> pitching aboot all over the shop, the measure always stays 16 beats long,
> but not there are 2 double speed beats where 1 used to be, and 1 half
>speed
> beats where 2 used to be??

Although I think that I have already posted enough in this thread I
can't help commenting on your post, Mark. Because you are pretty much
describing a certain functionality I have built in scripting for
Mobius ;-))   What you bring about above is the fun part of using Rate
Shift as opposed to Repeater-style pitch-shift with time-stretching
applied. However, I don't use an expression pedal as you envision, for
the reason that it is not exact enough. I simply trigger the script
from a pedal button and have it to start on at a quantized time. That
way I can build into the pitch/rate-shifting script to compensate for
the fact that a higher pitch means shorter loop time and lower pitch
means longer loop. I've managed to make this work to insert bass notes
in a loop without changing the total loop length, only temporarily at
the spot where the loop is shfited up one (or two) octave to overdub a
substitute a slice. The solution I found is to insert a short down dip
afterwards, just to enough to bring back the loop in sync with other
parallel loops.

I've even built a script that reverses the loop repeatedly and
overdubs at different rates, so a chord stab is created from one
played note. That's fun to play with, but I have not managed to make
it bring back the loop track sync afterwards, Since I'm a lazy
programmer I simply slapped a Realign command after that whole stab
chord shaping shebang. As long as it sounds good 'n glitchy I don't
mind a bit out of sync for a fraction of a second.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)