Re: Loop software with varispeed

personally, i think that rate shift is cooler than time stretching. I like both quantized in pitch, with the amount controlled by the notes on my midi guitar (nice, crazy pitch shifting feedback like i used at Y2K6), and unquantized, where i "play" the speed of an existing loop track (in my multiple-track system) with the mouse. I prefer the mouse to a footcontroller for this, tho a slider would probably be fine. And, when I'm using more "sane" pitch shifting, where the rhythms stay coherent, i like it to be both quantized in pitch and onset time, and triggered by me typing a key (2 to double, 3 to triple, F2 to halve, etc.)

Also, i find that it is extremely helpful to scale the volume somewhat inversely to the playback speed - make slower sounds louder, faster ones softer. otherwise the highs get too shrill and the lovely lows disappear.

Warren