Re: OT: Zoom H4 bass response

I can second this... the H$ is a great recorder for the money, the only trouble I have is with wind (as in trouble with the mics, not my bowels - although thats a bit dicky at times too). It seems VERY susceptible to noise from air. Infact its almost impossibe to walk and record without some wind on the mike, even WITH the additional wind sheid fitted. SO very sensitive mikes and placed on a table, sounds like a bad combination to me.

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Chris Sewell <midifriedchicken@comcast.net> wrote:
I'm surprised that any Zoom product is even worth mentioning. What I've tried in the past was garbage. But this recorder does get good reviews.

On Nov 10, 2008, at 4:26 PM, George Ludwig wrote:

Everyone's ears compress under volume. That's why when you mix a recording, you need to reference your mix at all levels between quiet and loud. Live mixing is a bit more difficult because you usually won't have that option.

The resonating tabletop is also a good call.

-George

----- Original Message ----
From: Shayne Cafferata <scafferata@sasktel.net>
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 12:59:48 PM
Subject: Re: OT: Zoom H4 bass response

Was it turned up real loud at the gig? Maybe that made it difficult to judge.
How loud was the gig? If it was very loud, your inner ear will compress, and you won't necessarily be able to tell. The microphone, on the other hand, does no such thing. ;)
I wonder if the H4 have picked up resonance amplification from the  table. Perhaps seating it on a piece of foam to isolate it would help?
yeah, it was pretty loud. i don't do sound a whole lot, but when i'm doing a band that plays loud i like to give them as much volume as i can without compromising clarity or bursting eardrums(as in my own). i haven't had any previous negative feedback and usually get compliments. even this gig, people came up after and said it sounded good. this is the first loud gig i've done that's been recorded, so, are everyone's inner ears compressing and we all think it sounds great when really, the recording is evidence of what's actually going on?
any tips for mixing a high volume performance?

a resonating tabletop sounds plausible too. i'll take care to isolate the h4 next time.

thanks,
shayne

--
www.markfrancombe.com