Re: Articles on Live Looping as Compositional Tool

Warren Sirota wrote:
> Hi Kayla,
>
> I don't have any links for you, but I would encourage you to explore, as
> part of your thesis, the fact that loop-based composition is a new form
> of structure for music, much like song form or sonata form (although
> maybe the latter is kind of a weak analogy).

I think it's quite a strong analogy once you start using a looping device
which is capable of doing "slice'n'dice" editing, or using
techniques that let you copy one loop onto another with speed change
and reverse.

Interestingly, I think it's the first time that the instrument
allows the player to physically interact with the form of the music,
while still working within the limitations on form which
are imposed by the instrument itself.
(as long as we can assume the live looping device to be an instrument).
As soon as musicians try to get past the limitation of simply building
up layers they find their choices restricted by the technology, but
also find it's possible to experiment with the form in real time.

Perhaps an odd concept, but compare with the way that in a Villa Lobos
Etude
the physical nature of the guitar places restrictions on the harmony, and
how that very much adds to the musical result.

andy butler