Re: Breathing

I just try to breathe through my eyelids like the lizards of the galapagos islands.
On Nov 8, 2008, at 12:25 PM, <mike@michaelplishka.com> <mike@michaelplishka.com> wrote:

The importance of breathing is in so many ways, underestimated.

It is almost too easy to create various unwanted mental states by over or under breathing-especially during performances.  This will be apparent to the audience.  Being cognizant of it and breathing in a more relaxed fashion can only help matters even when doing things that are strenuous.

I had my first slap in the face with breathing (actually they probably slapped by rear to help it along ;-) ) when luging.  When going down new tracks for the first time I was so intent on making turns, etc (so as not to smash into a wall) that I barely breathed on the way down...not good.  When I finally relaxed and was more normal in breathing patterns my performance went up and fatigue went down.

Same on stage, getting into the moment as a singer and guitar player sometimes would screw up breathing patterns and the voice would crack, lose emotion, etc. because of it.

Not to mention that breath is one of those things that gives power and emotion to music and often when we hear breathing as part of the singing it can be a vehicle for emotion.  It can also sometimes be annoying ;-)

~Peace~

Plish

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2008 6:00 AM
Subject: Breathing

Of course breathing is as an important thing to work as one's instrument.
I am practicing martial arts for about 35 years and in that case, uneffective breathing is immediately felt as lack of endurance, injuries and so on.

And I must admit, for all my experience in that area, that when I play guitar, it arrives that so taken by what I'm doing, I forget to breath and "awakes" because lacking air. Or it arrives also that I will swallow my saliva to wrong way and end in chokes.

This a rather more important thing to work on than many may thinks because of this "new age" talk...

Regards

Olivier Malhomme