Re: What's experimental?

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Krispen Hartung <info@krispenhartung.com>
wrote:

>> Krispen, how about "Boise New Music Festival"?
>
> Honestly, what's so new about it?  That phrase always seemed a bit
> pretentious to me. Most of the music people call new, has been around for
> years.  Creative music and improvised music is exactly what we are
>hearing
> at the festival now. Is it creative, relatively? Yes. Is it mostly freely
> improvised? Yes.  I call it what it is and what I want it to be...hence
>the
> new name.
>
> Kris

Nothing is of course "new" if you really look close enough. But I
think you are making a mistake if you are not noticing the difference
between "Kris Hartungs opinions on music" and "the agenda for
marketing the festival in the public domain". By using a simple name
that sounds good and looks good in print and that doesn't tell too
much about what this really is you may get more people willing to take
a chance on it and also open up for the festival to create its own
values by its content. With a too descriptive festival name you may
risk to put people off because they might think that "oh well, this
must not for me but for those guys that.... etc etc". I mean, everyone
has his own prejudices and by not declaring to much on the detailed
plane you may open up for everyones positive thinking. Just like Obama
did! ;-)) And you know that you have the good program to fill the
festival with, so it can't go wrong.

Well, at least that's my theory - not knowing much about Boise or
knowing much about this festival ;-))
"New" is as good as "Change" as long as you don't specify exactly what
it's about. The festival might still be "new", some music may be
"new"... who knows? I just thought it felt non-descriptive enough to
evoke curiosity.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen